The Next Step Program encourages and assists students in taking the “next step” on their career pathways. As YCLC Adult Reading students and English as a Second Language students are reaching their educational goals, the Next Step Coordinator provides individual assistance and referral services related to higher educational goals, employment opportunities and attaining citizenship. Next Step also offers services to our former students and the YCLC Alumni Group.
Pre-Nurse Aide Course (NOT a CERTIFICATION Course)
New Dates – call for information
Three week class from 9 AM to 3:30 PM.
YOU MUST ATTEND BOTH ORIENTATION DATES AND ALL CLASS DATES
- Must be available to attend 2-day Orientation: new dates to be announced
- Must be available to attend all classes: new dates to be announced
- High School Diploma or Equivalency Diploma (GED).
- Test assessments.
- Successful State Police Criminal Background check. You must have been a resident of Pennsylvania for the past 2 years or more. You MUST submit your PA Driver’s License or State ID at your interview. Those with shorter residency will require an FBI background check, a 2-week process that must be completed for application to be considered. Also, all felonies and certain misdemeanors are automatic disqualifiers for Nurse Aide training by the State of PA law.
- Physical: Must be free of communicable diseases, physically fit, and able to lift 40 pounds.
NOTE: These are only a few of the requirements for the training, and do not guarantee a place in class.
To register for Orientation, please download and complete the Initial Contact Form. Call (717) 845-8719 or email: email@example.com
Next Step Program services are available to current and former YCLC students. The program is offered to former students who have “graduated” from YCLC, current students who are leaving the program and ready for the “next step”, as well as current students who have made acknowledgeable progress. ESL students must be intermediate or advanced level. Students may be referred to the Next Step Program through their class, tutor or coordinator; or they may call and make an appointment.
The Program Offers…
- Individual assistance for developing a career pathway
- Referrals and information for employment, continuing education, vocational education, high school diploma, Citizenship
- Networking with participating businesses for employment
- Job Readiness Training including soft skills such as: interviewing, work ethics and résumés
- Motivational and informative career talks with community leaders
- Financial Aid Resource Information
The Blatner Scholarship
A $500 scholarship is awarded to a current YCLC student each year in the spring and fall. The Blatner Scholarship will be used to help fund tuition and other costs (books and school supplies) for continued education of an YCLC student. In order to be considered for the scholarship, students must follow scholarship requirements. The winner will be selected by the Scholarship Committee.
For additional information, call 717-845-8719 or email next.step@yorkliteracy.
Nicole completed our Pre-Nursing Assistant at YCLC class and was hired during our job fair. She later received her certification and is now a Certified Nurse Assistant.