York County Literacy Council has four (4) English as a Second Language teaching positions, and one (1) Digital Literacy Instructor Associate position open.
York County Literacy Council has several English as a Second Language teaching positions open. All classes are for adults. Salary $15 to $17 hourly. Teaching is on site at 1416 Sixth Ave., York, Pa. 17403 Must be on site for teaching.
- May 1 to June 15 sub for a Low Intermediate class, which meets Mondays and Wednesdays 6:30-9 p.m.
- Summer contract position teaching parents of children in SDYC. It would start June 5 and end August 1 (7/3 and 7/3 excluded). Monday and Tuesday 5-6:30 p.m.
- Ongoing, year-round class at our office for Beginning level students Monday and Wednesday 4:30-6:30 p.m.
- Ongoing, year-round class at our office for Intermediate level students Monday and Wednesday 6:30-9 p.m.
For more information or to apply please contact
Kim Swindle at firstname.lastname@example.org – 717 408-0899
or Janelle Hertzler at email@example.com – 717 408-6350
York County Literacy Council
ESL Instructor, JOB DESCRIPTION ON SITE Required
Title: English as a Second Language (ESL) Instructor
Reports to: ESL Coordinator
Status: Part-time, Non-Exempt
Salary $15.00 – $17.00 hourly Job is on site at 1416 Sixth Ave., York, Pa. 17403
Responsibilities: Teaches English as a Second Language class for adults
1. Teach ESL to adult learners using approved curriculum.
2. Develop lesson plans using approved curriculum.
3. Assess and evaluate students on an ongoing basis, inform coordinator or assistant of
students ready to advance.
4. Keep class records and attendance for students and volunteers. Maintain copies of students
work for student files.
5. Prepare reports and other administrative tasks as requested.
6. Assist in recruitment, training, and supervision of volunteers and classroom aides.
7. Act as a liaison with the teaching site if necessary.
8. Must have the ability to work remotely using online platforms to deliver instruction if
necessary. This requires PC/laptop/tablet with audio/video capability and internet.
9. Encourage and oversee distance learning activities.
10. Regularly communicate with students by telephone, email, and/or text messages regarding
class meetings, assignments, and platform information.
11. Carry out other duties as assigned.
1. Bachelor degree required
2. Multi-cultural experience required
3. Teaching experience required
4. Experience teaching ESL preferred
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
Work environment is in a classroom setting. May sit, stand, and walk for varying periods of
time. Must be able to walk, climb stairs, and carry items weighing up to 30#. Manual dexterity
necessary using hands and arms.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform
the essential functions of the job.
email Kim Swindle
TITLE: Digital Literacy Instructor Associate
REPORTS TO: Adult Program Manager and Community Relations Manager
SUPERVISES: Computer Lab
STATUS: Part-time (20-21 hours per week)
ON SITE REQUIRED
RESPONSIBILITIES: York County Literacy Council (YCLC) Digital Literacy Instructor Associate
will have excellent communication, patience with learners, have interpersonal skills and will
be energized working in a collaborative environment; will be flexible, self-motivated,
organized, and able to work well under pressure. Use approved curriculum to teach basic
Digital Literacy to learners, assist learners in independent study or other approved computer
use in YCLC’s computer lab, as well as with technology challenges.
1. Responsible for using approved curriculum to teach a range of digital literacy skills from
beginning through advanced levels of computer skills and applications.
2. Facilitate and teach approved workshops and computer classes in computer and internet
fundamentals, specific computer applications, and accessing and understanding how to use
online health, financial, and workplace information as determined by program needs, and
3. Provide lab hours for one-to-one digital literacy support for participants both in-person and
4. Track and keep up to date, student files that will include intakes, progress, and goals as
determined by the program requirements, funder, and supervisors.
5. Track and maintain all IT equipment at YCLC including Chromebooks, laptops, pc’s,
smartboards, and any other tools used in the delivery of programs.
6. Assist and support ESL, ABE, and HSE Instructors with the integration of technology into
their classes. Provide in-class computer-based lessons on textbook topics being taught.
7. Along with supervisors, assist in marketing classes and lab times by creating flyers and
8. Weekly reporting to supervisors and attending team and agency meeting as determined by
9. Work with racially, economically, sexually, and gender-diverse populations as well as lowliteracy populations.
1. Associates Degree in Information Technology or other IT Certification (required)
2. Ability to exercise patience to instruct a variety of ability levels (required)
3. Teaching experience preferred
4. Spanish speaker a plus
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Work environment is in a classroom setting. May sit, stand, and walk for varying periods of time. Must be able to
walk and climb stairs and carry items weighing up to 30#.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
send résumé email Rita Hewitt